Sunday, May 3, 2009

A nod to Eric Owen Moss and Bryan Healy

After comparing seating arrangement types, the type of stage I have and running square footage calculations, the potential capacity stands between 2200-2500 people max, on the inside (15,000 square feet @ 41 seats per 256 square feet, comfortably). The outside is much smaller and similar to the traditional amphitheater used by the Greeks. It still runs about 6,500 square feet but for the sake of calculations, if it were to use the same seating style as inside, the capacity would be around 1040. Clearly there aren't seats, only terraced concrete seats/steps. The ends of the amphitheater meet with the grass and the grade falls down towards the edges of the site. Every part of the auditorium, both inside and out, is completely handicap accessible.

Did I mention it opens up?

Holla Auditorium.



As you can see, I still have to model the inside if I want to use this perspective. I suppose I could photomontage everything...so many decisions to make, so little time....

****UPDATE****2009.05.03*****
I wasn't sure if the calculations I used above included circulation. After actually adding egress and aisle circulation I took another look at the available space for seating. The capacity came out to 1,582 people. If the calculations take into an average amount of space for circulation then the capacity of 2200-2500 is correct. If they don't, then 1,582 is the magic number (780 on the main floor, 468 on the 2nd level, 334 on the 3rd level). 

No comments: