Friday, April 24, 2009

Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington, UK

As with the Symphony Garden example I posted a while back, this hall is smaller than most of the ones I've come across in the books I checked out of the library. If anything, I've been able to find precedents of smaller performance halls in gigantic "Performing Arts Centers" that have several stages varying in seating capacity, type of stage, and primary use (drama, opera, orchestral, etc). After chatting with T-RAV a bit, I feel a bit better about my approach to the design of the "auditorium" building. The main program areas I need to consider are: stage, audience, circulation (public/private), performance service both above the audience seating and below the stage. I'm contemplating a single stage, arena style, that will be at the center of the building. Buffer areas will serve their purpose while also providing access to the various seating tiers from surrounding circulation paths.  There will also be a secondary, smaller outdoor amphitheater. This will involve part of the building actually moving. Whether or not the outdoor performance theater becomes an extension of the indoor theater has yet to be determined. It should be an exciting project....


No comments: