Saturday, April 11, 2009

Vision Quest

Usually I'm mucking around in the swamp lands of low level inspiration and/or motivation in the latter part of the semester, stuck on a project. Then, granted I get enough sleep for a few days straight, I have vision quest(copyright Matt Jones). Dreams (subconscious) have a way of working problems out for you when you get enough sleep to actually have them, but usually you have to experience stress beforehand in order for it to actually work.

So far, I've been thinking of how I can design an auditorium/theater building with either multiple types of stages (varying uses, sizes) or a volume that could serve multiple uses.

Among other things, the melded images of the coliseum and Calatrava's Milwaukee art museum stood out in my dreams. The coliseum had an underground labyrinth with trap doors to the surface "stage" area. This is not uncommon to a smaller extent in some theater's and auditoriums today. The art museum's wing like "brise soleil" (ugh, I hate that phrase) moves and controls sun light and temperature. These are two completely different buildings but the mixture created an emotional feeling of tremendous movement and transition in my mind, the original form of the building seamlessly changing into another (without having any catastrophic affect on its occupants).




While a building that implies movement goes along with our ideas with the train passing through our building, I don't think implication is strong enough. It needs to actually happen. Sketches and models to follow soon.

No comments: