Thursday, March 5, 2009

Feedback and possibilities

The presentation went as I expected, disastrous. No, haha, I'm kidding. The context plans and diagrams we paraded were strong, at least I thought. It was obvious where we fell short (better site plan) and the last minute addition of the perspectives. A stronger site diagram would have solidified our ideas further, giving the guest crits more of a perspective on where everything was happening. The feedback on the scale and ridiculousness of the gesture in perspective was expected. It was massive, practically engulfing Lee street, the site, Oakland avenue, and part of campus. I think we went too far showing those perspectives even if the purpose was to exaggerate the gesture visually while having something to compare it to (sorry physical plant and Curry education, your time is over!). It reminded me of a godzilla sized armadillo-esque snake. I'll leave you with that description, the actual drawing is even more ludicrous.



The words "celebration" came out of my mouth during the presentation and as soon as I said them I instantly regretted it. How can you celebrate the railroad, the beginning of Greensboro as a city, by placing them underground and erecting a gargantuan monstrosity in its place that has no relationship with the context surrounding it? The guest crits were quick to point this out.  I knew right then and there that we should bring those tracks out of the ground, raise them up high, and put their prominence on display for all to see. That is a path I hope to pursue when we continue this project after spring break. Another helpful note mentioned was the series of experiences that we should think about that might occur for a person approaching or entering the building. 

Here are two train station projects I found perusing the Perkins & Will website [ 1  2 ]

After reading the book, What is OMA?, I came across a project they did in Lille (Euralille). It was a good read for anyone interested in Rem Koolhaas, OMA, and AMO.

No comments: