Sunday, March 22, 2009

Random thoughts while running

These are images from the design firm Cooper Cary related to a competition for the Center of Civil and Human Rights. While I believe the diagrams are successful in conveying information I'm not really enthused about some of the perspectives shown.
As you can see in the above image, there are tons of people. The whole exterior gathering area is filled with people. It looks absolutely ridiculous. Am I going out on a limb when I say they didn't develop that exterior gathering space and instead of doing so, they filled it with "entourage"? Are they trying to visually convey that people are physically a part of the building's architecture? Honestly, I think it looks like a holding pen for livestock. It also seems odd that they chose that particular graphic to cover the facade of the building. I'm not sure of the mood the firm is trying to convey but it doesn't strike me as an empowering image which is what should be there.

Anyway, I've never been a big fan of the ghostly apparitions that pass for people in perspectives. If you're going to put people in a perspective make sure they look like they are really there. I mean holy crap, this is a big design firm. Is there no one who can do this properly?

On another note I'd like to get my thesis project published if it turns out the way I see it in my mind's eye. As a matter of fact, I think I have a secret passion for design related research and conveying that information through a medium (blog, design project, book, etc). After reading some of the publications of OMA/AMO, this has become yet another item of high interest. I was thinking about concentrations today while running: populations, household sizes, the density of cities. What about barrier architecture (U.S. border with Mexico, North/South Korea no man's land)? What about invisible architecture (metamaterial on a building's scale)?

No comments: