Monday, March 30, 2009

Quotes I've recored from folks I've been listening too...

Recently I've found people making references to architecture in their comments, whether through direct communication to me or to a broader audience I was a part of...lecturing for example. This is one of those stories...

I ran into a music major when I was at University Graphics getting my concept poster printed a while back. He initiated the conversation by commenting on the weather, "Its hot outside" he said. Yeah, it was amazing, one of the few nice days we had in between ridiculously gloomy days of rain and cold weather. Apparently the fellow found it uncomfortable, and felt compelled to share that he had a genetic disorder where his body did not sweat and cool itself properly. Suddenly his choice of attire made sense (long sleeve shirt and pants, black none the less).

Anyway, this lead to talking about what we were in school for, what we were getting printed, what we wanted to do when we got out of academia, etc. He was nice guy, odd but I suppose I'm pretty odd too. As I was walking out he said he would like to some day put 12 percussionists into a room and record the music they would make together. He said it was the closest marriage architecture and music would ever have. Oh really? I thought.

I laughed, it was the fake laugh I do when I'm trying to act normal. I told him good luck with that. Contrary to stereotypes and popular belief, we[I suppose I can't speak for everyone] are all not a bunch of chiefs trying to get our own battle plan across with the ferociousness of an entire high school marching band trapped in a 10 x 10 room. Nothing would ever get built (in case you haven't noticed, we are surrounded by buildings).

In an ideal case, I like to think of the process more as a symphony orchestra, the architect(s) conducting, making sure the strings, brass, woodwinds, and percussion fall into place nicely...

No comments: