Sunday, March 29, 2009

Humble Opinion Disintegration...

So for a while now, I've been excited for the opportunity of designing the [main] atrium space for our building as the individual part of my project. Unbeknownst to me, a group mate also wanted to focus on this area. My approach was from the sustainable stand point where as she is focused on the environmental psychology. There was a possibility of collaborating but I'm being honest when I say its been a slow, difficult process making decisions as a group and I didn't want to forfeit the part of the project where I could be [me]. Does that "me" in brackets bring back any memories from 3rd year studio? Anyway, we flipped a coin 3 times and I lost in a game of chance. 

The atrium, a sacred entrance, the intersection on the axis of community and education, a nexus of transitions on UNCG's campus connecting all of the other local colleges and universities and to cities around the country, a landmark within a landmark...my baby, the heart and soul of the building...

I suppose there is still yet opportunity...the 20k square foot auditorium, an opposite end to the atrium. Now I can honestly say that I am approaching 2nd year's Northridge project. I designed the auditorium and roof that extended out from the top, hovering over the entire building. 
It was pretty paramount...
Perhaps this is a chance to improve on what I've done in the past, to see how far I've come since my 2nd semester in this program.

I found an article on shipping container usage:Shipping Container Projects!

Shipping container auditorium? Could be sweet...

Kunsthal Museum designed by the Office of Metropolitan Architecture (Rem Koolhaas)

How about that, a road that passes through the building...


The other 3 images are shots from what appears to be an auditorium or presentation/lecture hall. Others soon to follow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my humble opinion: unbelievable. while i know you are capable of taking any space you are given and making it into some phenomenal work of jimmy leonard, i am irritated for you that your own group-mate has pulled it out from under you. how is it that i knew you wanted to work on the atrium, other group members knew this, people from other groups knew this, and somehow this person felt entitled (and couldnt have brought this up before today)? hrmm...speaks on behalf of your kindness, because i would have been less than accommodating in this situation. you will, no doubt, make a fantastic auditorium and have won the coin toss in a different way. ridiculous people...