Monday, September 15, 2008

For all you haters, perhaps a moment of clarity.

The following were the critiques I received and the number of similar responses:

(3) Logo connectivity to rest of design/concept: I alluded to this during the presentation. While the graphics developed concurrently (time wise) with the design process, they are a separate animal and it is my belief that they should be. Again, I am referencing other stores, advertisements, packaging, and products as precedents (which I have done a lot of this semester).  

I am willing to concede that the "flower" graphic might and will develop further. I could also argue that the configuration of 6 ellipses around a central sphere represents that of something resembling a nucleic structure. Is it related to my concept now? Perhaps. Look in a biology book.

(2) Design unrelated to product and/or concept: Thank you for paying attention. 
"The mutation of waste and nature in the absence of humanity." What does that mean? What would happen if trash or garbage attained the status of an "organism"? It would have cells and it would grow much like trees or humans do. How do I physically portray that in my fixtures? I take garbage and assemble the scraps into life like organisms (I think the tree is obvious, the wall mount even looks like an octopus, the point of purchase also looks like a creature that could pick you up and take a bite out of that brain of yours).

(1) A reference to my choosing of the name of my store. Forgive me because I forgot all about this part. 

"Pre Eden - Post Atlantis"

Its got biblical connotations written all over it. I like to take jabs at Christianity every once and while (I was raised Catholic).

The "Pre Eden" part refers to certain people's beliefs that life started with a man and a woman. What was there before? I disagree with the biblical interpretation and believe that of Darwin's theory of evolution, that we evolved over millions of year starting at the cellular level. What? Cells? Is that in my concept?

The "Post Atlantis" part refers to a city either on or in the ocean where people lived. What kind of recreational activities occurred on this "Atlantis"? I imagined it had something to do with water. Water? Swimming? Bathing suits! 

Degrees of separation. Thank you for the feed back. Lets do it again sometime!

1 comment:

emily davis said...

your graphics were awesome on this project jimmy. i also appreciate the way you took your concept to a whole other level instead of taking it for what it was and leaving it at that. Thisis actually harder then it is convenient and also allows one to escape from the possibilities of literalism...