Friday, September 26, 2008

Vertical Review

After meeting with Christina and Kelsey to have conversations about the process we've achieved so far, I noticed similarities between all of our projects. The use of the basement as either food or vendor space, Buffalo Creek as a major element of the design, and multiple floor levels open to each other were all major ideas in our projects. It was nice to see my peers' process before a final review for once. Not that this interaction doesn't happen between some of us but we all have our friends and clicks of people that we normally go for advice and feedback from. Maybe this atmosphere will pop up by itself a little more often without Suzanne having to tell us to do it! The blogs definitely make accessing other people's process easier but not everyone constantly updates their site so occasions like this should more than offset that problem (meeting in person is probably better). On to business...

So...I had a vision quest last night. I don't remember what it was but for some odd reason I knew the direction I wanted to head in when I woke up this morning. I didn't have much to show besides a page of sketches, diagrams, and the graphics I posted earlier. Looking at the looms, I started thinking of the cotton that went through to weave whatever product was being made. Suspension, connection, inanima: three words I've been thinking of. The graphics got me ideating about how to make things float or suspend in mid-air (sounds familiar to another project I did last year...Noah's Arc).

I've decided to split the project area into 3 major areas: stores, creek/courtyard, and food (building across the creek/courtyard). I see the floating/suspended structure as serving a similar purpose to the diagonal shaft that already exists between the buildings, as a purposeful connection. Whether this entity becomes an actual restaurant, store, gathering area, or strictly circulation on a different level remains to be sought out and processed. Only good things can come of it. The creek/courtyard area will act as the spatial connection between the store and food buildings. There are also many opportunities for using the creek as a visual element from inside at the basement level and perhaps other levels as well. I should also say that I am one of those people that plans on cutting the building up but not just the basement. I want to cut through the floors above our "space" to open each level to a yet to be determined "skylight." The quotations are there because it will serve more purpose than just providing natural light.

I'll continue this later, when I have my stuff scanned in.

1 comment:

suzanne cabrera said...

Don't you love a good vision quest every now and again?

I'm very intrigued by the ideas your group has for the space. I am questioning your reasons for tearing into the building in such a forceful *not sure this is the best adjective, but can't think of another* way, but am willing to hold back any objections until I learn and see more.