Tuesday, September 9, 2008

trash overgrowth

The "silent storm" has gotten me thinking about some other ideas. I see the absence of man and the return of nature to its original state as a silent storm. No one would be around to hear anything, nor would would they be able to object to the slow and inevitable growth of the Earth back over the ruin of human society. These signs are what inspired the path of thought. I found them wondering around downtown in the alleys across the train tracks. I'm sure there are more to be exploited...Greensboro's got a lot of little artifacts waiting to be discovered.




Chernobyl is a perfect example of what would happen to society if every human being disintegrated (or left the planet). The history channel had a great show about this I think. I'll get back to you on that.

The future depicted in the movie Wall-E also comes to mind: one little heart warming robot building cities one compacted trash cube at a time. If you saw the movie you know what I'm talking about. Hes a busy little robot. The structures in the film were pretty spectacular. I'll see about getting some more pictures.

I've also been looking at trash found art installations and pieces. HA Schult, a German artist created 1,000 “Trash People” statues in the Piazza del Popolo in Rome from household waste glue. This would certainly cut down on the production of mannequins, although I don't know how flattering the apparel would be on these wastoid (waste+humanoid) constructs. I will be posting more examples as the day goes on. I must say there is a direct link between the sketches I've been doing and the trash/found art I've been coming across. The whole idea was really driven home by Anthropologie's strategy for antiques and props in the store. This would be taking it to the next level, which I plan on doing on every scale.


While these sketches might not be annotated, there are infinite ways they could be used at every scale within and outside the store. Again, Anthropologie's concepts weighed heavy on these sketches. If I make anything concrete, I'll let you know.

"Gigi Pampadou" the face of "New Eden": the name of my store. Hes a bit of a mechanical construct himself. Definitely a branding idea.

A trash circulation perhaps?


Abandoned warehouse crates for display and storage?

The trash starts to pile up...its starting to take on a different function as a whole.

The heap has gotten so large that its approaching Marriot Hotel size (on the beach).An elevation of the proposed trash heap.

I think I'm finally getting somewhere. You might say that this falls closer to someone else's "modern ruins" but I say I've interpreted "silent storm" in a different way. Trash/waste overgrowth, the mutation of waste and nature in the absence of humanity. To be continued.

No comments: