Saturday, September 27, 2008

Obama/Biden Rally

My girlfriend found out Obama and Biden were having a rally in Greensboro a few days in advance to the official printing in the newspapers. We both had a lot of work to do for school but she made plans and drove from Durham (Duke) after class on Friday. We said to ourselves, this is our chance to go to our first political rally (presidential)...why not? We had originally planned to wake up at 6am but instead of setting my alarm for weekends, I had it set for weekdays (cellphone) and we slept until about 7:15. I think if we hadn't gotten there so early we wouldn't have had such a close spot next to the stage, which was about 20 feet away (give or take).

At first we didn't think we were going to get in but after I saw all of the people pile up behind us in line I wasn't worried anymore. One woman in the senior citizens line passed out on the sidewalk and had to be taken away on a stretcher by emts'. It was amazing to see people were willing to sacrifice their bodies to be a part of this rally. Everyone was out there, all ages and all races. Everyone was willing to stand for hours to see these men speak about their beliefs and goals for the future of our country.

I ran into my friend Susie who was by herself. Susie had brought a book to read while she stood in line. I had my camera and my girlfriend to converse with but made a mental note to bring a book or sketchbook the next time if I was ever by myself for one of these.. She was actually one of two friends that I know of that came by themselves. It made me proud to have friends like this, people who care about whats going on in this country. I wonder how many other people came by themselves...
The rally itself was pretty exciting. Both Barack and Biden showed a fierceness that energized the crowd at some points. It reminded me of the quote "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" After watching the debate the night before I imagined they would talk about much of what was already said but there was new material with an added mix of humor. The crowd responded well to the Democratic candidates. I believe the news put the total number of people at the rally around 20,000. I'd say thats a suprisingly substantial showing for Greensboro and brought hope in my heart for what was to come on November 4th.
"....We are fast approaching the time when we will have to think even further outside the box, remove our ideological blinders, and look directly at the problems of this century--and fashion our solutions so that they address the problems, not confirm our beliefs...."

Come up with solutions to address the problems, not confirm our beliefs...sounds like change to me.

No comments: