Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Leaning tower of pixels...[Refractive Pixels in Metastasis]

I am working more with models in this project to see if incorporating them into my usual black hole of a process nets any interesting results. Model building is not a strong skill of mine and if I need to show my ideas physically and conceptually, it needs to improve. So, the only way you get better is if you practice, right? What better opportunity is there to practice then with a studio project? I'm enjoying myself so far but I think it has more to do with the tools (shop), materials (plywood) and scale I'm working at. In the past I've noticed that there is a severe decline in the dexterity of my hands once I get working with fairly small objects. For example, I can't shuffle cards, play the guitar or any other instrument for that matter. My fingers just don't get it. Perhaps there is some disconnect between the nerves in my fingers and the synapses firing in my brain. This disadvantage always translates itself into poorly made models for projects. I think a time for change is appropriate. I laminated scraps of plywood together, smoothed out the faces, and cut grooves on 4 sides of the piece with a 1/2" dado pack on the radial arm saw.
The "pixel" is a two dimensional or three dimensional manifestation of information. In this model study I've chosen to use the square and cube as a starting form for that manifestation. It is not pictured here but the entire mass is cut into varying lengths, all of which can be interlocked on any of the 4 sides with grooves. The parts can be manipulated to create different "pixel" masses. I see this as the first stage in what is to be the abstraction of the form and how the new forms speak to the possibility of new types of connections that might occur between those masses. Stay tuned, the process continues...

1 comment:

Jami Southern said...

The leaning tower of pixels photographs well....I hear what you say about model building, but I think this one was successful. I am very curious to see where you are going with this. The choice of a wood model to replicate such a high tech world is intriguing though possibly just the easiest material to sculpt.
Oh, how I long to move tons of pallets!